Dredging Sesuit Harbor in Dennis

In 1993 Barnstable County conducted a needs assessment and a cost benefit analysis of operating a municipal dredge program on behalf of the towns, and found that indeed it would be both beneficial to the towns and cost effective.

The County and its legislative delegation approached the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management (DEM) and requested financial assistance in the form of $1 million capital grant for the purchase of a dredge and ancillary equipment.  Prior to this grant, the state was responsible for funding 75% of the cost of municipal dredge projects and the town was responsible for the remaining 25%.  However, funding constraints at the state level meant that much of the dredge work was not completed on a timely basis or was never accomplished.

As stipulated in the grant Agreement, the provision of capital grant replaces the state funding for municipal dredge projects here on the Cape.